Giraffe is an automated mobile recruitment app that aims to help reduce unemployment in South Africa by connecting medium-skilled jobseekers with opportunities and enabling businesses to hire staff faster and cheaper than any other way.
Having achieved significant growth since launching in 2015, reaching ~700k users and securing investment from eBay founder and Silicon Valley billionaire Pierre Omidyar’s VC fund and FirstRand’s Vumela fund, Giraffe is now looking for a highly talented front end developer to work on all aspects of Giraffe’s platform.
Our developer positions are a little different to the classical consultancy/corporate model, as the environment is that of a startup. Developers get involved/ exposed to many elements of the business and get to contribute in many meaningful ways. As a result, you get to develop much faster than the average developer.
Our goal is to create a scalable, profitable business whilst generating significant positive social impact in South Africa and emerging markets in general. The development team is critical in enabling us to reach this goal.
Specific core responsibilities include:
The developer will play a key role in building and managing all elements of the Giraffe platform- incorporating mobile application, web application, database, matching algorithms and third party integration. The developer will work closely with the lead developer and head of product.
Essential technical requirements
• Degree or diploma
• At least 2 years’ experience in HTML and CSS
• Must be interested/fanatical about startups and high growth businesses
Essential other requirements for the role
• Highly analytical and numerate
• Excellent problem solving skills
• Fast learner- able and willing to learn new things
• Highly organised and structured
• Autonomous- able to work with minimal oversight
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent team working skills
• Interested in technology and high-growth tech startups
• Able to work under pressure
• Able to tolerate ambiguity
• Interest in making a strong social impact
• Sandton, Johannesburg
Remuneration and benefits
• Competitive salary, medical aid + share options
Giraffe is a fun, dynamic company with a super smart team on a mission to build something amazing. We have a great culture and working environment. We love what we do and we have loads of fun doing it!
We are growing very fast and this is a great time to join South Africa's hottest tech startup!
To apply, email your CV and a BRIEF COVER LETTER explaining your motivation for wanting to work at Giraffe to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note that applications without a cover letter will NOT be considered.